If you are arrested for DWI in Charlotte, it may be the first time that you have been arrested for any crime in your life. It can be a very stressful experience, and it can be confusing to go through the booking process. Here is what you need to know about it so that you understand what is happening and can protect your legal rights.
What Happens at a DWI Booking?
If you are arrested for DWI, you will be handcuffed and transported to the police station for booking. It can take four to six hours, and you will be held in a holding cell while it is completed. Here’s what could happen during the booking process:
- The police will search you and take your possessions. You will be given a list of the possessions that can be returned to you when you are released. Any property that is evidence in your DWI case would be confiscated and held by the police.
- The police will conduct a preliminary criminal background check to determine if you were arrested or convicted in the past.
- Your photograph and your fingerprints will be taken.
- If you are being charged with a felony, you may be asked to give a cheek swap so that your DNA can be added to the North Carolina or federal database.
- The police should read you your Miranda rights before questioning you if they did not do so when you were arrested. You should exercise your right to remain silent until you retain a lawyer.
- You will be allowed to contact an attorney or family member. While you are not entitled to unlimited calls, you will generally be given more than one attempt at reaching someone.
- Once your booking has been completed, you will be held in a holding cell until your bail is determined or you are released on your own recognizance.
Have You Been Arrested for a DWI in Charlotte, NC?
If you are facing DWI charges, you need to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Charlotte office directly at 980.207.3355 to schedule your free consultation.